This course covers how Peakflow SP and TMS can be used to detect, analyze and mitigate various types of DDoS attacks.
Attendees will learn about the types of Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks and how Peakflow SP and TMS diagnostic tools and reporting can be used to analyze and report on the details of an attack. Then, pulling from real-world experiences, utilize various mitigation techniques to lessen the impact of these attacks. During lab exercises, students will detect various anomaly types, use Peakflow SP tools and reporting to analyze the traffic, and then mitigate malicious traffic targeted against resources they have been assigned to protect.
Network operations personnel, security administrators and staff responsible for monitoring, mitigating (network anomalies) and ensuring peak performance of the Peakflow SP and TMS solutions.
Classes are delivered at Arbor Networks USA-based training facilities in Ann Arbor, MI and Burlington, MA or, upon request, at a customer’s site.* Periodically, open enrollment courses will be offered in various locations outside of the USA. When this occurs, new course schedules for those locations will be posted on the Arbor Networks Web site. For the dates and locations of available courses nearest you, please view our posted course schedules.
- Use Peakflow SP for Infrastructure Security and DDoS Protection
- TMS Technical Overview
- DDoS and Anomaly Detection
- DDoS Mitigation Techniques
Upon completion, participants should be able to:
- Identify challenges facing service providers and describe how Peakflow SP and TMS features generate further revenue opportunities by offering cloud-based, differentiated managed security services.
- Understand Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) types and identify common attack methods used by attackers.
- Describe the features of Peakflow SP that are used to identify malicious activity against managed resources.
- Identify the function of the TMS appliance and describe its role within a Peakflow SP deployment.
- Describe how anomalies and malicious traffic are presented in Peakflow SP.
- Use the Peakflow SP diagnostic tools and reports to analyze and interpret anomaly data to determine the appropriate mitigation option to implement.
- Correlate the attack information collected to appropriate mitigation methods and countermeasures.
- Use the various mitigation options to allow desirable traffic through to the destination while lowering the impact of undesirable traffic.
- Surgically remove DDoS attack traffic from your network using various countermeasures to target and remove malicious traffic while maintaining the availability of managed resources and key network services.
- Use pre-defined filter lists during the mitigation of an attack.
- Ensure service availability and network performance via rich-context reporting.
Arbor Networks Educational Services
Arbor Networks offers a comprehensive selection of technical training courses, each geared to participants with distinct skill sets, from novice network operators to senior system administrators. Instructors, with extensive security and networking experience, lead the classes and all required training materials are provided. Each training session combines classroom instruction with tailored, hands-on experiences, in live network environments, so that participants learn practical, rather than just theoretical, skills. This process enables participants to gain the knowledge required to successfully operate their Arbor solutions while maximizing product performance.
* On-site customer class size is limited to a maximum of 10 participants.